Sunday, May 05, 2013

Benjabelle Brush Trees

I mentioned Brush Trees in my April Favourites video, and I really wanted to do a blog post on them because I think they're a genius idea! 
I'd seen them before in a few YouTube videos and really wanted to get my hands on them, so when Jan from Benjabelle got in touch with me and asked me if I wanted to try them out, I couldn't have been more excited!


Let me tell you the basics:

  • Holds your brushes vertically while they dry
  • Collapsible 
  • Three colours (Black/White/Pink)
  • Two sizes (Original/Mini)
  • Original size holds 14 large brushes or up to 42 thin brushes
  • Mini size holds 24 thin brushes
  • Original - $34.95 approx £22
  • Mini - $24.95 approx £16
  • Both - $49.95 approx £32
  • Family business. Product made by partners Jan and Ben


Basically they hold your brushes upside down while they're drying to minimise drying time and prevent water going back up into the brush ferrule. Up until now, when I washed my brushes I would just leave them on a towel in the bathtub and I'd have to keep flipping them over to make sure they were completely dry. Now I can just plonk the brushes up into the tree, put it on the window sill or bathroom counter, and just leave them to dry. When you leave brushes on their sides there is a still a risk of water collecting in the ferrule and ruining the glue holding the bristles or germs collecting (which is really gross if you think about the fact that you put makeup brushes on your face almost daily). But now I don't have to worry about that! 
I was curious to see what the grippers felt like as I was a little worried about the paintwork on the brushes. (I'm a little loser and hate things having even the smallest scratch on them.) But the grippers are made of silicone so they're very soft and won't damage the paintwork on the brushes at all. The 'tree' itself is very sturdy, don't be put off by the 'trunk' rattling! I feel like this product is going to last a pretty long time, even after taking it apart and putting it back together time and time again. Which might I add, is the most convenient thing ever. When these babies are flat they they can just be put away in a drawer until the next time you need them.
It's worth mentioning that these aren't made by a big company, they're made by a couple in their workshop in Wisconsin. They're handmade and shipped out to you by either Jan or Ben, which I just absolutely love! It feels personal and adds a certain charm to the product. I have so much respect and admiration for them. They have a 30 day full refund, 'no questions asked' policy if you're not happy with the product. (But I guarantee you will be.)
A few people pointed out that these seem a little pricey, but they are so worth the money. You have to think of these as a long-term investment, they're not something you're going to buy and use once, you're going to use them over and over again. (And probably never have to replace them.)
I'll keep this post short and sweet because there isn't really much else to say about this product; it does exactly what it's supposed to do! I have no complains. It has significantly changed my brush cleaning experience. These Brush Trees along with a brush cleaning board and MAC Brush Cleanser make cleaning my brushes easier, quicker, and actually enjoyable.

You can check out the Brush Trees here and you can see them in my video here. :)