Monday, April 28, 2014

Urban Decay Electric Palette | Review & Demo




If last month you'd told me I'd be posting about a palette full of bright colours on my blog I wouldn't have believed you. I was adamant about not buying this palette. I didn't think I'd use it, I didn't think it would be any good but boy oh boy, how wrong was I?


Here's some info:
  • £38
  • Pressed pigments
  • Ten shades (8 new shades)
  • Matte, satin & shimmer textures
  • Double-ended brush

Because these are pressed pigments they have amazing colour payoff. Even without a white base the colours are going to pop and stay intense. It's funny, when you pick up the colour on the brush it looks like it's not enough but then you apply it and BAM, the most intense shade you've ever seen. I even had trouble getting my camera pick up the correct colours because they're so bright!



The formula feels buttery and therefore blends effortlessly. Even the matte shades which feel a little chalky to the touch still apply evenly and blend well. Just be careful when you're trying to blend different textures together. It can take a little bit more work to blend something like Savage and Jilted together, for example. I didn't have a problem with creasing any more so than what I usually do. Which has nothing to do with the shadows, by the way, I just have relatively hooded lids so they get all hot and gross and nothing stays put for more than 3 or 4 hours. 



Most pressed pigments I've tried need to be applied with a finger on top of some kind of adhesive or base. But I haven't found that to be the case with these. They apply nicely with a brush just like your average eyeshadow. Jilted is one of my favourite colours but also stained my skin a little even though I applied it over the top of foundation and a base. That doesn't personally bother me but bear that in mind if that's something you don't like. I haven't worn Slowburn yet but I feel like that might be case with that shade too.



Here's a run down of the shades, copied from the Urban Decay site:
"Revolt (bright metallic silver shimmer w/silver glitter), Gonzo (bright turquoise matte w/ floating tonal pearl), Slowburn (bright red-orange matte w/floating pearl), Savage (bright hot pink matte), Fringe (bright metallic teal), Chaos (bright blue matte w/floating tonal pearl), Jilted (bright metallic fuchsia w/blue shift), Urban (bright metallic purple), Freak (bright green w/gold shift) and Thrash (bright lime green matte w/floating gold pearl)."

In the US there is a warning on the back of the packaging: 'Warning: Slowburn, Savage, Jilted, and Urban are not intended for the immediate eye area.' Although, this isn't the case in the EU.

The brush is a synthetic cruelty free double-ended brush. The bigger end is good for packing on colour and also blending slightly. And the smaller end is good for applying underneath the eyes and precise application of colour. 



I have to say I'm a huge fan of the packaging. It's sleek but sturdy and feels like it would survive a few drops. And it has a magnetic closing which is something I really like in a palette. I don't know why, there's just something really satisfying about the the sound they make when they shut!

Here's my first of three looks I'm planning to do with this palette:

Jilted / Urban / Freak / Thrash  





Overall, I'm glad I decided to splurge on this palette. Although it's fun to create bright looks like the one above, it's not something I'd necessarily wear myself but I know I'll definitely use it for pops of colour and coloured liner. How would you use this palette? :)