Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Urban Decay Vice 3 Review


I'll start by saying I'm a huge Urban Decay fan, especially when it comes to their eyeshadows, so when I found out there would be a bunch of eyeshadow palettes coming out this year I was excited to say the least. I have a few palettes to review but today I'll be sharing my thoughts on the Vice 3 palette!

  • £42
  • 20 new shades
  • Selection of different finishes
  • Comes with a dual-ended brush & zipper bag

The Vice 3 palette has twenty all new shades and the they're arranged according to colour coordination - each shade in every 4 pan column works together which makes pairing up shades a walk in the park. It makes the Vice 3 an ideal palette if you're wanting to branch out into wearing more colour but aren't too sure how to. (And definitely ideal if you're a beginner!) I personally have always struggled with understanding colour so this palette is great for me too.

Truth / Undone / Downfall / DTF
Dragon / Freeze / Heroine / Brokedown
Vanity / Lucky / Reign / Bobby Dazzle 
Alien / Alchemy / Bondage / Sonic
Last Sin / Angel / Defy / Revolver

Finishes » matte, satin, sparkle and metallic. Tones » mostly warm with a few cool shades

Urban Decay eyeshadows are some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever used. I've always enjoyed how velvety they feel, how they apply and how nicely they blend and this palette is no exception. As for longevity, the shadows last around 4 to 5 hours on me before they start to crease which is awesome wear time for someone with slightly hooded eyes that love to get their grease on.

So it wouldn't be a fair review if I didn't point out some cons but I'm honestly grasping at straws here. There is slight fall out in some of the glittery shades which can be a problem in the darker shades if you do your base first although, I do my base last so wiping away any fall out hasn't been an issue for me. The shade Truth is a tad powdery but still easy to work with so I'm really nitpicking now.


I have a love hate relationship with the packaging of this palette. The case is reflective with this cool design on the front with a bright lime green back and it's absolutely gorgeous until you touch it. Unless you obsessively clean the packaging of your palettes then you're just going to have to live with grubby finger prints all over it all the time. The same applies for the brush. I still really like it, though! The case is super slim and comes with a zipper bag which can also be used as a makeup/brush/whatever-you-want bag which is a nice touch.



The palette also comes with a brush. It's not bad but it's not very good either. I never end up using these guys unless I'm doing character work and need to use a brush that I don't mind destroying.

I can't compare this Vice palette to any of the previous ones since this is the first one I've tried, but from looking at photos of the previous ones I'd say that the colours are more on the 'safe' side with this one. Aside from the second column I'd say these colours are really easy to wear. These shades are exactly my kind of thing. I can see myself using this palette for the simplest and softest of looks (as rare as that might be) all the way up to the heaviest and grungiest of looks. I think this palette is really worth the buy and I can't wait to share some looks with you guys!

Buy here!

The products in this post were provided by the brand for possible review/use. All opinions are my own. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.